Image is an easterly view of four unfinished frame structures identified as stock barns. A car is parked in front of one of the barns. A small group of spruce trees is at left. Mountains are prominent in background under cloudy skies. A note on the reverse indicates that the barns were covered with tarps when used. The notation on the front that the location is at the "fair grounds" may be a bit confusing as another photo in the Museum's possession shows they existed just east of the school building rather than where the "fair grounds" was later established on the south side of town. Clarification comes from understanding that the first "Matanuska Valley Fair" activities centered around the new school and gymnasium in fall of 1936 with some activities and exhibits in the buildings and others, including animal exhibits, held outdoors. The clarifying photo, dated Aug. 1936, shows the subject barns which were, at that date, on the "fair grounds". The fair moved to the official "fair grounds" at the south edge of town in 1937 where it remained until moving further south in 1967 to its present location.
Cepia tone paper postcard print, 3-1/2" x 5-1/2"