Creator
Kelly Turney
Time Period
Entries
36

Turney Collection

Palmer Museum of History and Art
Palmer Museum of History and Art
Open Finding Aid
About the​​​ 
Turney Collection

Palmer resident Kelley Turney is a local antique dealer and collector, known as "The Alaska Picker", and from time to time acquires historical photos of the area. He has kindly agreed to make many of those images available to the Museum for our collections and to share with the public.

Image is the east side of Koslosky’s Department Store facing South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.   Automobiles are parked along newly installed curbs and sidewalks on the recently paves street.   Signs are prominent.
Image is an interior view of the Tropical Gardens Bar in Palmer.  Ruby and Bill Miller, proprietors from 1959 until 1962, are standing behind the bar at left.
Image is an interior view of the Frontier Cafe in Palmer as it appeared about 1960.
Image is a view of the interior sanctuary of the log St. Michaels Catholic Church in Palmer as it appeared not long after it was construction in 1937.  Statues, pictures and other religious objects are apparent.
This is a slightly enhanced news photo showing Matanuska Colonists sorting through the boxes, barrels, trunks and crates of possessions off-loaded from the train at Palmer and stacked along the tracks, claiming their own and loading them on a truck to be delivered to their tents.  The marks on the photo indicate how it would be cropped for printing in the newspaper.
Image is a summer view of the Colony home and barn of Virgil and Lillian Eckert on their farm tract #100 on the north edge of Palmer.  The house is of the log “cabin” style as were many of the Colony homes.  The round-roofed barn was not typical of the Colony barns and was one of only three or four constructed of that style.  A smaller log building is visible behind the house.  Scattered birch trees are around the farmstead with heavy birch forest beyond.
This is a press photo exhibiting marks indicating where it was cropped for publication in the newspaper.  Image is a summer view of Joe and Blanche Puhl and their two sons at a wood pile next to their Colony tent and their new log home on farm tract #99 on the north side of Palmer.  Rolls of barbed wire are stacked by the tent and blocks of birch wood await in the foreground to be split for fire wood.
The Community Center Dormitory was initially built to provide housing for single teachers, nurses and others during the early days of the Colony.  It later provided public hotel rooms under private ownership.  The accommodations included a community “living room” with a fireplace and space for small gatherings.  This image shows how that room was furnished in 1969.
Image is of a farmer, identified as Colonist Claire Patton, and a horse, identified as “Prince”, standing in a field of tilled ground, pausing in the process of harrowing.  Part of a log building is visible behind the horse.  A fringe of forest is in far middle ground and mountains are visible in background.  Location is assumed to be on Patton’s Colony tract #49 south of Palmer.  The horse, “Prince”, was the youngest stud horse brought to the Colony, and was well known as highly intelligent and capable in any kind of work.
Image shows a man standing on the porch of Felton’s store and post office in foreground.  A large log cabin is in near middle ground with several Colony tents visible beyond.  Heavy forest is the backdrop with mountains faintly visible in background.  Location is the former homestead of Georen O. White reflected by the large log structure.  Felton and partner, Ward, acquired the property and operated the Post Office with the community name of “Warton” until 1935 when the name was changed to “Palmer”.  The Matanuska Colony “Tent City” temporarily occupied part of the property.
This is a press photo showing people standing at the front of Felton’s store and Post Office.  James Felton and partner, Ward, operated the Post Office with the community name of “Warton” until 1935 when the name was changed to “Palmer”.  Accompanying information identifies the young man in front as John Walsh, a university graduate, employed as a carpenter, probably as one of the Matanuska Colony project transient labor force.
Image is a summer street-side view from W. Evergreen Ave. of the Palmer Fire Department Fire Hall as it appeared in 1955.
Image is of a vintage American-LaFrance fire truck parked on the west side of the Palmer theater building.  A child is visible on the seat at the steering wheel, his trusty cap pistol ready at hand on the seat beside him.   “ALASKA RAILROAD FIRE DEPARTMENT” is stamped on the engine hood, and a U.S. Federal property decal, visible on the side of the foot rest, is a reminder that at the time this truck was part of the railroad fleet, that railroad was still owned and operated by the federal government.  Various information indicates the model year of this truck as 1909 or 1916.  Other photos in our collection show this truck at the Lazy Mountain Children’s Home.  Further research is needed to identify the truck’s history, age and current status.
Image is a view across the Community Center quad, west toward the commercial center buildings of Palmer as a large column of smoke rises from Horton’s Roadhouse as it burned in 1946. Numerous people and vehicles are visible.  Also destroyed besides Horton's Roadhouse, or apartments, were Horton's Cafe, the Frontier Bar and the Frontier Liquor Store.
Image is a view of a shed-roofed building with three nine-pane windows and two small high windows that appear to have bars.  A sign at the entrance identifies it as headquarters for the U.S. Marshall and Corporation Police.  The photographer’s note on the front of the print indicate it was the Palmer “City Jail”.  It appears to be a temporary and hastily constructed facility in the early days of the Matanuska Colony project in Palmer.
Image is an east side street view of the two storied Bert’s Drugstore building exhibiting signs and window advertisements for a variety of businesses therein, including Rexall Drugs, Drug Fountain, Post Office, Barbershop, Bus Depot, Jewelry, Liquor Store and Bar.  Two automobiles are parked in front.
Image is of the east face street view of the Ward building in downtown Palmer.  Signs include advertisement for Reed’s Hardware, Frontier Bar and a café.  A car is parked in front.
Image is of the east face street view of Tost’s Service Station building in downtown Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.  Signs are evident advertising Standard Oil products and Chevron gasoline.  The street in front is newly paved.
Image is the street view of the north and west facing sides of Kirk’s Sales & Service Station building in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.  Signs are evident advertising Chevrolet and Oldsmobile automobiles and Union Oil products.  Gas pumps are visible in front of both sides of the building.  Bulk fuel tanks are evident behind the building exhibiting a large “76” sign. The street in front is newly paved.
Image is the street view of the north and west facing sides of Hartley Motors Sales & Service Station building at the intersection of Old Glenn Highway and South Valley Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.  Signs are evident advertising Ford automobiles, lubrication services and Chevron Oil products.  Gas pumps are visible in front of the building.   Automobiles are parked near the building. Snow-clad mountains are partially visible in background.  The street in front is newly paved.
Image is an easterly view at the intersection of South Valley Way and Dahlia Ave. in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.  Buildings of the Co-op are evident at left and signs are visible.  Automobiles are evident. Snow-clad mountains are prominent in background.  The included streets are newly paved.
Image is of the Piggly Wiggly Super Market facing onto South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in 1955.   Automobiles are parked in front and signs are evident.
Image is of the Piggly Wiggly Super Market facing onto South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.   Automobiles are parked in front and signs are evident.  The street is newly paved.
Image is of the Thrifty Variety Store facing onto South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.   Automobiles are parked in front and signs are evident.  The street is newly paved.
Image is the south view along South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958, viewed from the intersection with W. Evergreen Ave.   Automobiles are parallel parked on both sides of the street, signs are evident and tall TV antennas are visible.  The street is newly paved.
Image is the north view along South Alaska Street in Palmer, viewed from the intersection with W. Evergreen Ave., as it appeared in fall of 1958.   Automobiles are parked along newly installed curbs and sidewalks on the recently paves street.   Signs are evident and snow-clad Talkeetna Mountains are apparent in background.
Image is the south view along South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1955, viewed from near the intersection with W. Evergreen Ave.   Automobiles are angle parked on both sides of the street, signs are evident and tall TV antennas are visible on the roofs.
Image is the east side of Koslosky’s Department Store facing South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.   Automobiles are parked along newly installed curbs and sidewalks on the recently paves street.   Signs are prominent
Image is of the southwest entry and west side of the Palmer Drug Store on South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.  The new sidewalk associated with the recently paved street is evident.   The Palmer Drug Fountain sign is prominent.
Image is a street-side view from S. Colony Way of the sidewalk and building window advertising the “Matanuska Valley Bank” and partial view of another window advertising “Savings”.  Two cars are parallel parked in front at the curb of the newly paved street.
Image is a view of Pioneer Apartments and Kirk’s Sales & Service at the intersection of Glenn Highway and S. Valley Way.  A sign is prominent in foreground with an arrow pointing to “Palmer Shopping Center”.  New pavement on S. Valley Way is evident as part of the city street paving project of 1958.  Three vehicles are evident.
Image is a view of the front of Betty’s Dress Shop on S. Valley Way.  A neon sign, “BETTY’S” is prominent under the canopy covering the new sidewalk associated with recent street paving activity carried out by the city in 1958.
Image is a view of numerous automobiles parked in front of businesses along S. Valley Way.  A man stands in foreground looking away.   Many signs are visible.  The railroad depot is evident and two trains are visible nearby.
Image is a view of the front of the new Post Office building constructed as part of the Matanuska Colony project in front of the powerhouse on what was to become Dahlia Ave.   The water tower is prominent and a portion of the powerhouse and its smokestack are visible behind.  A cable and post hitching rail is in foreground and two automobiles are partially visible.  Postal service moved from Jim Felton’s store to this facility in 1936 where it operated until 1949.  This postcard photo is estimated to have been taken about 1940.
Image is a view of the interior hallway of Palmer Central School as it appeared on February 1, 1969 at 1:18pm.  Note on the back of the photo refers to the school being evacuated, but gives no indication as to why.
Image is of five stock cars racing on the Palmer Fairgrounds race track, identified as a Labor Day event.  Other automobiles and people are visible in middle ground with Palmer city buildings and Talkeetna Mountains beyond.
Image is a summer street-side color view from Dahlia Ave. of the Co-op Trading Post and Creamery building with numerous automobiles parked in front.  The warehouse behind the store is partially visible.
Image is the east side of Koslosky’s Department Store facing South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.   Automobiles are parked along newly installed curbs and sidewalks on the recently paves street.   Signs are prominent.
Title

Palmer Street 32

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Koslosky’s store on South Alaska Street in Palmer in fall 1958 after the street was paved.

Description

Image is the east side of Koslosky’s Department Store facing South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958. Automobiles are parked along newly installed curbs and sidewalks on the recently paves street. Signs are prominent.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is an interior view of the Tropical Gardens Bar in Palmer.  Ruby and Bill Miller, proprietors from 1959 until 1962, are standing behind the bar at left.
Title

Bar 1

Creator

Cliff Moore

Subject

Interior view of the Tropical Gardens Bar in Palmer in 1959

Description

Image is an interior view of the Tropical Gardens Bar in Palmer. Ruby and Bill Miller, proprietors from 1959 until 1962, are standing behind the bar at left.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is an interior view of the Frontier Cafe in Palmer as it appeared about 1960.
Title

Cafe 1

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Interior view of the Frontier Café in Palmer

Description

Image is an interior view of the Frontier Cafe in Palmer as it appeared about 1960.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a view of the interior sanctuary of the log St. Michaels Catholic Church in Palmer as it appeared not long after it was construction in 1937.  Statues, pictures and other religious objects are apparent.
Title

Church 11

Creator

Unknown

Subject

Interior of St. Michaels Catholic Church in Palmer

Description

Image is a view of the interior sanctuary of the log St. Michaels Catholic Church in Palmer as it appeared not long after it was construction in 1937. Statues, pictures and other religious objects are apparent.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

This is a slightly enhanced news photo showing Matanuska Colonists sorting through the boxes, barrels, trunks and crates of possessions off-loaded from the train at Palmer and stacked along the tracks, claiming their own and loading them on a truck to be delivered to their tents.  The marks on the photo indicate how it would be cropped for printing in the newspaper.
Title

Claiming Their Freight 1

Creator

Unknown Journal staff

Subject

Colonists claiming their trunks, boxes and barrels of belongings from piles of freight off-loaded from the train and stacked about.

Description

This is a slightly enhanced news photo showing Matanuska Colonists sorting through the boxes, barrels, trunks and crates of possessions off-loaded from the train at Palmer and stacked along the tracks, claiming their own and loading them on a truck to be delivered to their tents. The marks on the photo indicate how it would be cropped for printing in the newspaper.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a summer view of the Colony home and barn of Virgil and Lillian Eckert on their farm tract #100 on the north edge of Palmer.  The house is of the log “cabin” style as were many of the Colony homes.  The round-roofed barn was not typical of the Colony barns and was one of only three or four constructed of that style.  A smaller log building is visible behind the house.  Scattered birch trees are around the farmstead with heavy birch forest beyond.
Title

Colony Home 23

Creator

Jackson

Subject

Home and barn of Colonists Virgil and Lillian Eckert

Description

Image is a summer view of the Colony home and barn of Virgil and Lillian Eckert on their farm tract #100 on the north edge of Palmer. The house is of the log “cabin” style as were many of the Colony homes. The round-roofed barn was not typical of the Colony barns and was one of only three or four constructed of that style. A smaller log building is visible behind the house. Scattered birch trees are around the farmstead with heavy birch forest beyond.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

This is a press photo exhibiting marks indicating where it was cropped for publication in the newspaper.  Image is a summer view of Joe and Blanche Puhl and their two sons at a wood pile next to their Colony tent and their new log home on farm tract #99 on the north side of Palmer.  Rolls of barbed wire are stacked by the tent and blocks of birch wood await in the foreground to be split for fire wood.
Title

Colony Home 24

Creator

Wide World Photos, Inc

Subject

Colony Home and family of Joe & Blanche Puhl

Description

This is a press photo exhibiting marks indicating where it was cropped for publication in the newspaper. Image is a summer view of Joe and Blanche Puhl and their two sons at a wood pile next to their Colony tent and their new log home on farm tract #99 on the north side of Palmer. Rolls of barbed wire are stacked by the tent and blocks of birch wood await in the foreground to be split for fire wood.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

The Community Center Dormitory was initially built to provide housing for single teachers, nurses and others during the early days of the Colony.  It later provided public hotel rooms under private ownership.  The accommodations included a community “living room” with a fireplace and space for small gatherings.  This image shows how that room was furnished in 1969.
Title

Dorm Living Room 1

Creator

Unknown

Subject

The Palmer Community Center “Dorm” living room as it appeared in 1969

Description

The Community Center Dormitory was initially built to provide housing for single teachers, nurses and others during the early days of the Colony. It later provided public hotel rooms under private ownership. The accommodations included a community “living room” with a fireplace and space for small gatherings. This image shows how that room was furnished in 1969.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is of a farmer, identified as Colonist Claire Patton, and a horse, identified as “Prince”, standing in a field of tilled ground, pausing in the process of harrowing.  Part of a log building is visible behind the horse.  A fringe of forest is in far middle ground and mountains are visible in background.  Location is assumed to be on Patton’s Colony tract #49 south of Palmer.  The horse, “Prince”, was the youngest stud horse brought to the Colony, and was well known as highly intelligent and capable in any kind of work.
Title

Farming 10

Creator

Hewitts Photo Shop

Subject

Colonist Claire Patton and horse “Prince” harrowing a field

Description

Image is of a farmer, identified as Colonist Claire Patton, and a horse, identified as “Prince”, standing in a field of tilled ground, pausing in the process of harrowing. Part of a log building is visible behind the horse. A fringe of forest is in far middle ground and mountains are visible in background. Location is assumed to be on Patton’s Colony tract #49 south of Palmer. The horse, “Prince”, was the youngest stud horse brought to the Colony, and was well known as highly intelligent and capable in any kind of work.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image shows a man standing on the porch of Felton’s store and post office in foreground.  A large log cabin is in near middle ground with several Colony tents visible beyond.  Heavy forest is the backdrop with mountains faintly visible in background.  Location is the former homestead of Georen O. White reflected by the large log structure.  Felton and partner, Ward, acquired the property and operated the Post Office with the community name of “Warton” until 1935 when the name was changed to “Palmer”.  The Matanuska Colony “Tent City” temporarily occupied part of the property.
Title

Felton's Store 1

Creator

Unknown

Subject

Felton’s store & post office adjacent to a homestead cabin and colony tents

Description

Image shows a man standing on the porch of Felton’s store and post office in foreground. A large log cabin is in near middle ground with several Colony tents visible beyond. Heavy forest is the backdrop with mountains faintly visible in background. Location is the former homestead of Georen O. White reflected by the large log structure. Felton and partner, Ward, acquired the property and operated the Post Office with the community name of “Warton” until 1935 when the name was changed to “Palmer”. The Matanuska Colony “Tent City” temporarily occupied part of the property.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

This is a press photo showing people standing at the front of Felton’s store and Post Office.  James Felton and partner, Ward, operated the Post Office with the community name of “Warton” until 1935 when the name was changed to “Palmer”.  Accompanying information identifies the young man in front as John Walsh, a university graduate, employed as a carpenter, probably as one of the Matanuska Colony project transient labor force.
Title

Felton's Store 2

Creator

International News Photo, Inc.

Subject

People standing about in front of Felton’s store & post office

Description

This is a press photo showing people standing at the front of Felton’s store and Post Office. James Felton and partner, Ward, operated the Post Office with the community name of “Warton” until 1935 when the name was changed to “Palmer”. Accompanying information identifies the young man in front as John Walsh, a university graduate, employed as a carpenter, probably as one of the Matanuska Colony project transient labor force.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a summer street-side view from W. Evergreen Ave. of the Palmer Fire Department Fire Hall as it appeared in 1955.
Title

Fire Hall 1

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Palmer Fire Department headquarters viewed from W. Evergreen Ave. in 1955

Description

Image is a summer street-side view from W. Evergreen Ave. of the Palmer Fire Department Fire Hall as it appeared in 1955.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is of a vintage American-LaFrance fire truck parked on the west side of the Palmer theater building.  A child is visible on the seat at the steering wheel, his trusty cap pistol ready at hand on the seat beside him.   “ALASKA RAILROAD FIRE DEPARTMENT” is stamped on the engine hood, and a U.S. Federal property decal, visible on the side of the foot rest, is a reminder that at the time this truck was part of the railroad fleet, that railroad was still owned and operated by the federal government.  Various information indicates the model year of this truck as 1909 or 1916.  Other photos in our collection show this truck at the Lazy Mountain Children’s Home.  Further research is needed to identify the truck’s history, age and current status.
Title

Fire Truck 1

Creator

Unknown

Subject

Old American-LaFrance fire truck, a member of the Palmer Fire Dept. fleet.

Description

Image is of a vintage American-LaFrance fire truck parked on the west side of the Palmer theater building. A child is visible on the seat at the steering wheel, his trusty cap pistol ready at hand on the seat beside him. “ALASKA RAILROAD FIRE DEPARTMENT” is stamped on the engine hood, and a U.S. Federal property decal, visible on the side of the foot rest, is a reminder that at the time this truck was part of the railroad fleet, that railroad was still owned and operated by the federal government. Various information indicates the model year of this truck as 1909 or 1916. Other photos in our collection show this truck at the Lazy Mountain Children’s Home. Further research is needed to identify the truck’s history, age and current status.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a view across the Community Center quad, west toward the commercial center buildings of Palmer as a large column of smoke rises from Horton’s Roadhouse as it burned in 1946. Numerous people and vehicles are visible.  Also destroyed besides Horton's Roadhouse, or apartments, were Horton's Cafe, the Frontier Bar and the Frontier Liquor Store.
Title

Horton's Roadhouse Fire

Creator

Unknown

Subject

Smoke rising as Horton’s Roadhouse burned in 1946

Description

Image is a view across the Community Center quad, west toward the commercial center buildings of Palmer as a large column of smoke rises from Horton’s Roadhouse as it burned in 1946. Numerous people and vehicles are visible. Also destroyed besides Horton's Roadhouse, or apartments, were Horton's Cafe, the Frontier Bar and the Frontier Liquor Store.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a view of a shed-roofed building with three nine-pane windows and two small high windows that appear to have bars.  A sign at the entrance identifies it as headquarters for the U.S. Marshall and Corporation Police.  The photographer’s note on the front of the print indicate it was the Palmer “City Jail”.  It appears to be a temporary and hastily constructed facility in the early days of the Matanuska Colony project in Palmer.
Title

Palmer Jail

Creator

Jackson

Subject

Palmer Jail and office of the U.S. Marshall and the ARRC Police

Description

Image is a view of a shed-roofed building with three nine-pane windows and two small high windows that appear to have bars. A sign at the entrance identifies it as headquarters for the U.S. Marshall and Corporation Police. The photographer’s note on the front of the print indicate it was the Palmer “City Jail”. It appears to be a temporary and hastily constructed facility in the early days of the Matanuska Colony project in Palmer.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is an east side street view of the two storied Bert’s Drugstore building exhibiting signs and window advertisements for a variety of businesses therein, including Rexall Drugs, Drug Fountain, Post Office, Barbershop, Bus Depot, Jewelry, Liquor Store and Bar.  Two automobiles are parked in front.
Title

Palmer Street 20

Creator

Anchorage Times

Subject

Bert’s Drugstore street view

Description

Image is an east side street view of the two storied Bert’s Drugstore building exhibiting signs and window advertisements for a variety of businesses therein, including Rexall Drugs, Drug Fountain, Post Office, Barbershop, Bus Depot, Jewelry, Liquor Store and Bar. Two automobiles are parked in front.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is of the east face street view of the Ward building in downtown Palmer.  Signs include advertisement for Reed’s Hardware, Frontier Bar and a café.  A car is parked in front.
Title

Palmer Street 21

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

East street view of the Ward building in downtown Palmer in 1958

Description

Image is of the east face street view of the Ward building in downtown Palmer. Signs include advertisement for Reed’s Hardware, Frontier Bar and a café. A car is parked in front.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is of the east face street view of Tost’s Service Station building in downtown Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.  Signs are evident advertising Standard Oil products and Chevron gasoline.  The street in front is newly paved.
Title

Palmer Street 22

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

East street view of Tost’s Service Station building in downtown Palmer in 1958

Description

Image is of the east face street view of Tost’s Service Station building in downtown Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958. Signs are evident advertising Standard Oil products and Chevron gasoline. The street in front is newly paved.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is the street view of the north and west facing sides of Kirk’s Sales & Service Station building in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.  Signs are evident advertising Chevrolet and Oldsmobile automobiles and Union Oil products.  Gas pumps are visible in front of both sides of the building.  Bulk fuel tanks are evident behind the building exhibiting a large “76” sign. The street in front is newly paved.
Title

Palmer Street 23

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

North and west street view of Kirk’s Sales and Service Station building in Palmer in 1958

Description

Image is the street view of the north and west facing sides of Kirk’s Sales & Service Station building in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958. Signs are evident advertising Chevrolet and Oldsmobile automobiles and Union Oil products. Gas pumps are visible in front of both sides of the building. Bulk fuel tanks are evident behind the building exhibiting a large “76” sign. The street in front is newly paved.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is the street view of the north and west facing sides of Hartley Motors Sales & Service Station building at the intersection of Old Glenn Highway and South Valley Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.  Signs are evident advertising Ford automobiles, lubrication services and Chevron Oil products.  Gas pumps are visible in front of the building.   Automobiles are parked near the building. Snow-clad mountains are partially visible in background.  The street in front is newly paved.
Title

Palmer Street 24

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

: North and west street view of Hartley Motors Sales and Service Station building in Palmer in 1958

Description

Image is the street view of the north and west facing sides of Hartley Motors Sales & Service Station building at the intersection of Old Glenn Highway and South Valley Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958. Signs are evident advertising Ford automobiles, lubrication services and Chevron Oil products. Gas pumps are visible in front of the building. Automobiles are parked near the building. Snow-clad mountains are partially visible in background. The street in front is newly paved.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is an easterly view at the intersection of South Valley Way and Dahlia Ave. in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.  Buildings of the Co-op are evident at left and signs are visible.  Automobiles are evident. Snow-clad mountains are prominent in background.  The included streets are newly paved.
Title

Palmer Street 25

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Easterly view at the intersection of South Valley Way and Dahlia Ave. in Palmer in fall 1958 including Co-op buildings and mountains

Description

Image is an easterly view at the intersection of South Valley Way and Dahlia Ave. in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958. Buildings of the Co-op are evident at left and signs are visible. Automobiles are evident. Snow-clad mountains are prominent in background. The included streets are newly paved.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is of the Piggly Wiggly Super Market facing onto South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in 1955.   Automobiles are parked in front and signs are evident.
Title

Palmer Street 26

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Piggly Wiggly Super Market on South Alaska Street in Palmer in 1955

Description

Image is of the Piggly Wiggly Super Market facing onto South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in 1955. Automobiles are parked in front and signs are evident.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is of the Piggly Wiggly Super Market facing onto South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.   Automobiles are parked in front and signs are evident.  The street is newly paved.
Title

Palmer Street 27

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Piggly Wiggly Super Market on South Alaska Street in Palmer in fall 1958 after the street was paved.

Description

Image is of the Piggly Wiggly Super Market facing onto South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958. Automobiles are parked in front and signs are evident. The street is newly paved.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is of the Thrifty Variety Store facing onto South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.   Automobiles are parked in front and signs are evident.  The street is newly paved.
Title

Palmer Street 28

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Thrifty Variety Store on South Alaska Street in Palmer in fall 1958 after the street was paved.

Description

Image is of the Thrifty Variety Store facing onto South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958. Automobiles are parked in front and signs are evident. The street is newly paved.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is the south view along South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958, viewed from the intersection with W. Evergreen Ave.   Automobiles are parallel parked on both sides of the street, signs are evident and tall TV antennas are visible.  The street is newly paved.
Title

Palmer Street 29

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

South view along South Alaska Street in Palmer in fall 1958 after the street was paved.

Description

Image is the south view along South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958, viewed from the intersection with W. Evergreen Ave. Automobiles are parallel parked on both sides of the street, signs are evident and tall TV antennas are visible. The street is newly paved.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is the north view along South Alaska Street in Palmer, viewed from the intersection with W. Evergreen Ave., as it appeared in fall of 1958.   Automobiles are parked along newly installed curbs and sidewalks on the recently paves street.   Signs are evident and snow-clad Talkeetna Mountains are apparent in background.
Title

Palmer Street 30

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

North view along South Alaska Street in Palmer in fall 1958 after the street was paved.

Description

Image is the north view along South Alaska Street in Palmer, viewed from the intersection with W. Evergreen Ave., as it appeared in fall of 1958. Automobiles are parked along newly installed curbs and sidewalks on the recently paves street. Signs are evident and snow-clad Talkeetna Mountains are apparent in background.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is the south view along South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1955, viewed from near the intersection with W. Evergreen Ave.   Automobiles are angle parked on both sides of the street, signs are evident and tall TV antennas are visible on the roofs.
Title

Palmer Street 31

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

South view along South Colony Way in Palmer in fall 1955.

Description

Image is the south view along South Colony Way in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1955, viewed from near the intersection with W. Evergreen Ave. Automobiles are angle parked on both sides of the street, signs are evident and tall TV antennas are visible on the roofs.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is the east side of Koslosky’s Department Store facing South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.   Automobiles are parked along newly installed curbs and sidewalks on the recently paves street.   Signs are prominent
Title

Palmer Street 32

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Koslosky’s store on South Alaska Street in Palmer in fall 1958 after the street was paved.

Description

Image is the east side of Koslosky’s Department Store facing South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958. Automobiles are parked along newly installed curbs and sidewalks on the recently paves street. Signs are prominent

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is of the southwest entry and west side of the Palmer Drug Store on South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958.  The new sidewalk associated with the recently paved street is evident.   The Palmer Drug Fountain sign is prominent.
Title

Palmer Street 33

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Palmer Drugstore on South Alaska Street in Palmer in fall 1958 after the street was paved

Description

Image is of the southwest entry and west side of the Palmer Drug Store on South Alaska Street in Palmer as it appeared in fall of 1958. The new sidewalk associated with the recently paved street is evident. The Palmer Drug Fountain sign is prominent.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a street-side view from S. Colony Way of the sidewalk and building window advertising the “Matanuska Valley Bank” and partial view of another window advertising “Savings”.  Two cars are parallel parked in front at the curb of the newly paved street.
Title

Palmer Street 34

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Matanuska Valley Bank windows on S. Colony Way in Palmer as they appeared in fall of 1958

Description

Image is a street-side view from S. Colony Way of the sidewalk and building window advertising the “Matanuska Valley Bank” and partial view of another window advertising “Savings”. Two cars are parallel parked in front at the curb of the newly paved street.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a view of Pioneer Apartments and Kirk’s Sales & Service at the intersection of Glenn Highway and S. Valley Way.  A sign is prominent in foreground with an arrow pointing to “Palmer Shopping Center”.  New pavement on S. Valley Way is evident as part of the city street paving project of 1958.  Three vehicles are evident.
Title

Palmer Street 35

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Pioneer Apartments and Kirk’s Sales & Service buildings at the intersection of Glenn Highway and S. Valley Way. A sign is prominent pointing toward Palmer shopping center

Description

Image is a view of Pioneer Apartments and Kirk’s Sales & Service at the intersection of Glenn Highway and S. Valley Way. A sign is prominent in foreground with an arrow pointing to “Palmer Shopping Center”. New pavement on S. Valley Way is evident as part of the city street paving project of 1958. Three vehicles are evident.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a view of the front of Betty’s Dress Shop on S. Valley Way.  A neon sign, “BETTY’S” is prominent under the canopy covering the new sidewalk associated with recent street paving activity carried out by the city in 1958.
Title

Palmer Street 36

Creator

Anchorage Times Newspaper

Subject

Betty’s Dress shop exterior on S. Colony Way.

Description

Image is a view of the front of Betty’s Dress Shop on S. Valley Way. A neon sign, “BETTY’S” is prominent under the canopy covering the new sidewalk associated with recent street paving activity carried out by the city in 1958.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a view of numerous automobiles parked in front of businesses along S. Valley Way.  A man stands in foreground looking away.   Many signs are visible.  The railroad depot is evident and two trains are visible nearby.
Title

Palmer Street 37

Creator

Anchorage Times Publishing Co.

Subject

Creative parking on S. Colony Way.

Description

Image is a view of numerous automobiles parked in front of businesses along S. Valley Way. A man stands in foreground looking away. Many signs are visible. The railroad depot is evident and two trains are visible nearby.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a view of the front of the new Post Office building constructed as part of the Matanuska Colony project in front of the powerhouse on what was to become Dahlia Ave.   The water tower is prominent and a portion of the powerhouse and its smokestack are visible behind.  A cable and post hitching rail is in foreground and two automobiles are partially visible.  Postal service moved from Jim Felton’s store to this facility in 1936 where it operated until 1949.  This postcard photo is estimated to have been taken about 1940.
Title

Post Office 2

Creator

Unknown

Subject

Palmer Post Office circa 1940, water tower and powerhouse smoke stack

Description

Image is a view of the front of the new Post Office building constructed as part of the Matanuska Colony project in front of the powerhouse on what was to become Dahlia Ave. The water tower is prominent and a portion of the powerhouse and its smokestack are visible behind. A cable and post hitching rail is in foreground and two automobiles are partially visible. Postal service moved from Jim Felton’s store to this facility in 1936 where it operated until 1949. This postcard photo is estimated to have been taken about 1940.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a view of the interior hallway of Palmer Central School as it appeared on February 1, 1969 at 1:18pm.  Note on the back of the photo refers to the school being evacuated, but gives no indication as to why.
Title

School 1

Creator

Unknown

Subject

Interior hallway view of Palmer Central School in 1969

Description

Image is a view of the interior hallway of Palmer Central School as it appeared on February 1, 1969 at 1:18pm. Note on the back of the photo refers to the school being evacuated, but gives no indication as to why.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is of five stock cars racing on the Palmer Fairgrounds race track, identified as a Labor Day event.  Other automobiles and people are visible in middle ground with Palmer city buildings and Talkeetna Mountains beyond.
Title

Stock Cars 1

Creator

Unknown

Subject

Labor Day stock car races at the Palmer fairgrounds , 1949

Description

Image is of five stock cars racing on the Palmer Fairgrounds race track, identified as a Labor Day event. Other automobiles and people are visible in middle ground with Palmer city buildings and Talkeetna Mountains beyond.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Image is a summer street-side color view from Dahlia Ave. of the Co-op Trading Post and Creamery building with numerous automobiles parked in front.  The warehouse behind the store is partially visible.
Title

Trading Post 5

Creator

Unknown

Subject

Color view of the Co-op Trading Post in 1956 with automobiles parked in front.

Description

Image is a summer street-side color view from Dahlia Ave. of the Co-op Trading Post and Creamery building with numerous automobiles parked in front. The warehouse behind the store is partially visible.

Location

Palmer, Alaska

Explore the Rich History of the Matanuska Valley

This project is made possible by